Monday, August 11, 2008

Opening Day

Michael and I have a thing for Opening Days. That is to say, the first day of a new production, whether it's a one-night stand or an eight-week run, the Opening Day is always slightly magical. In The Ugly American, Michael describes it thusly:

"For me, Opening Day is a secret holiday. It’s like a birthday, but it’s better than a birthday, because you earned it: you sweated for it, bled for it, suffered for it…"

So to Catherine and Mike and all the storytellers you've worked with out there in the town called Monday (that's what "Dushanbe" means in Tajik), I wish you all a very happy Opening Day.

In fact, I would like to give you this Ijshoorn, as a token of my affections.

Too big, you say? Too grand?

Not at all! I insist!


Break a leg tonight, friends.

No comments: